The Importance Of Daily Office Cleaning
£11.7billion is lost each and every year through sickness and employee absences. And while that can't all be attributed to dirty desks and computers, they will definitely be contributing in some way, a way that can be easily avoided.
There are simple and very effective ways that you can share with your employees, that will help to keep their personal space free of bacteria, and ultimately the work place. With more than 70% of people admitting that they come into work when sick or feeling ill, the more you can prevent the spreading of these germs the better your employee attendance shall be!
- Keep Hand-sanitising Wipes At The Ready - Stock your desk drawer with wipes containing at least 60% alcohol content (don't use over 95% as the ingredients can be harsh on the skin) and you'll keep your hands cleaner than if you had freshly washed with hot, soapy water. Give your desk a once over at the end of every day with a wipe and this can reduce bacteria levels by up to 99%. Have sanitiser boxes installed throughout your office space to encourage employees to use the gel away from their desks, and on a regular basis.
- Know How to Clean Your Keyboard - As mentioned above, bacteria levels on your keyboard can be up to five times higher than a toilet; the keyboard is without a doubt the filthiest piece of equipment at your desk. But as it is pretty awkward to thoroughly clean given all the keys, fewer than 10 percent of us clean our keyboards regularly - cotton buds and sanitiser spray is very effective, as is a simple 'shaking' of the keyboard to dislodge all crumbs.
- Reusable Water Bottles - Given the number of chemicals plastic bottles carry, we know reusable bottles are better for us and the environment. But, plastic bottles also harbour more bacteria and do require daily cleaning like our dishes at home after every use. Stock your employees with reusable water bottles to further reduce the amount of bacteria in the workplace.
- Tupperware Is A God Send - Encourage (mandatory if required) employees to store all food and snacks in tupperware containers, labelled accordingly; outside the fridge, just 10 invisible germs can multiply to 1,000 in six hours!
- Use A Reputable Cleaning Company - It is very important that you hire a cleaning company with a proven track record of successful cleaning contracts and good reviews/word of mouth. Poor cleaning companies can end up leaving a bigger mess in your office than before their cleaning. Top cleaning companies use top of the range equipment and supplies so as to not damage your interior or surfaces, whilst also destroying germs and bacteria safely.